[Gmsh] can not show time value if element data is smoothed

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Sun May 22 11:05:35 CEST 2011

2011/5/22 mianzhi <wangmianzhi1 at hotmail.com>:
> On 2011年05月21日 19:42, Geordie McBain wrote:
>>
>> 2011/5/21 mianzhi<wangmianzhi1 at hotmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Many thanks to developers of GMSH. It helps me a lot in generating mesh
>>> and
>>> post-processing.
>>> Now I have a .msh data file including element data (scaler) at multiple
>>> time-steps. Because the element data is not automatically interpolated as
>>> node data, I applied the plug-in "smooth" to make it seems better.
>>> However,
>>> the time value could not be shown properly after the "smooth" is applied.
>>> Is that possible to smooth the element data while keeping the time value
>>> correct at the same time?
>>> I appreciate your reply very much.
>>>
>>> Pasted blow is a demonstrative example (modified from the node data
>>> example
>>> in the manual):
>>
>> Hello. I saved your data as a .msh file and opened it in Gmsh, where I
>> saw the figure with discontinuous colour and a label "A scalar view
>> (0/1)" or "A scalar view (1/1)", according to which time-step I'd
>> advanced to.  Then affected I executed Plugin(Smooth), I saw the same
>> figure smoothed, but the captions were still there, so I don't
>> understand what you're missing.  Could you elaborate?
>>

> Hello,
> Without applying "smooth", it shows above the legend the time value (e.g.
> 2.2), if you set the time display mode to be "value". (see 1.png)
> However after you applied "smooth", the "2.2" becomes "0" for all time
> steps. (see 2.png)

Thank you.  I see what you mean now and I confirm that I can reproduce
this behaviour.  In particular, saving the smoothed view (as
attached), one can see that the time has been zeroed, although the two
time-step indices have been correctly preserved.  It doesn't seem
right, and I don't know how to fix it.  Let's call it a bug.

I thought this might have been easy to fix, so I had a quick look at
the code in Plugin/Smooth.cpp.  The body of the execute method is very
short, so I guess most of the work is being done elsewhere, but I
wasn't able to follow the trail from there.