[Gmsh] MSH Format

Ted Kord teddy.kord at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 21:27:50 CEST 2011

This may be a naive question but humour me.

I've meshed my geometry using Gmsh  and the mesh file has the usual format.
In the $Elements section, there's connectivity for triangles and tetrahedra.
Am I correct in saying that:

a) the triangles are surface/boundary elements and

b) I can ignore the triangles (if for the moment, I'm not concerned with
boundary conditions, etc) and only use the connectivity information for the
tetrahedra and still have the mesh and its nodes correctly represented?

If the answers to these are 'NO', is there a way for me to generate a mesh
with only nodes and connectivity information for tetrahedral elements only?

..
$MeshFormat
2.2 0 8
$EndMeshFormat
$Nodes
241401
1 2.848267 -65.8432 2.187612
..
..
$EndNodes
$Elements
1379514
1 1 2 0 7 1102 1101
..
..
210000 4 2 0 9 189345 47114 189340 189339
210001 4 2 0 9 189345 47114 48392 189340
$EndElements

--
Best regards,

Theodore