[Gmsh] Error : Self intersecting surface mesh, computing intersections (this could take a while)

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Wed Jul 20 09:18:49 CEST 2011

On 20/07/11 9:04, Adrien Girard wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>

> I passed yesterday afternon, trying to fixe it but I found nothing.
>
> For my master thesis I have to compute centrifugale force on a micro-compressor. I have not design it myself but I can
> redesign it, if its needed (but I prefer not).
> When I 3D mesh it, I have an error message :
>
> Error : Self intersecting surface mesh, computing intersections (this could take a while)
>
> But, only the 2D mesh is available.
>
> What can I do ?

Hi Adrien,

as the error message says, you probably have intersecting or (partially) overlapping surfaces, Gmsh tries to solve the
problem but do not succeed, and at the end it is unable to mesh your geometry in 3D...

You can first try to obtain a more finer mesh by reducing the characteristic lengths.

And if it doesn't work, send your .geo file so that we can check it.

Regards,

Dave

--
David Colignon, Ph.D.