[Gmsh] gmsh and deal.ii

Javier Munoz josejmcriollo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:25:26 CEST 2011

I'm trying import into deal.ii a mesh generated with Gmsh. The only thing I know
is that deal.ii doesn't accept triangular elements from imported files.

I construct my grid in Gmsh and at the end I use the command 'Recombine Surface'
to recombine the triangular elements into quads. I save the file in Gmsh V1.0
and I make sure that all the elements were quads, i.e. all element types were 3
(4 node quadrangle).

Then, when I tried to import the mesh into deal.ii and it gave the error:

'dealii::StandardExceptions::ExcInternalError'
  what():  --------------------------------------------------------
An error occurred in line <642> of file
</home/zerpiko/FEM/deal.II/source/grid/grid_reordering.cc> in function static
void dealii::GridReordering<dim,
spacedim>::invert_all_cells_of_negative_grid(const
std::vector<dealii::Point<spacedim> >&, std::vector<dealii::CellData<dim> >&)
[with int dim = 2, int spacedim = 2]
The violated condition was:
    n_negative_cells==0 || n_negative_cells==cells.size()
The name and call sequence of the exception was:
    ExcInternalError()
Additional Information:
(none)

I'm not sure what was my mistake. Any clue?