[Gmsh] 3D-mesh by hexahedras

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Wed Oct 12 01:43:30 CEST 2011

2011/10/12  <matthias.neumann at uni-ulm.de>:
> Hello,
>
> I have a data set consisting of more than 6000 overlapping balls in the
> 3-dimensional space, whereas the balls are given as a txt.-file (radius and
> the coordinates of the center). I would like to mesh the union of these
> balls by hexahedrons. My questions are:
>
> 1) Is it possible to read the spheres by gmesh and

One can create spheres in Gmsh (somewhat indirectly), see

  http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#t5_002egeo

but I don't think Gmsh can carry out the union; see

  http://www.geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2011/006584.html.

So I think this step should be done prior to Gmsh in something like FreeCAD.

> 2) is gmesh able to mesh my set by hexahedrons.

That sounds very tricky but is outside my experience so I won't comment.