[Gmsh] Variable thickness surface

Mathieu ARQUIER mathieu.arquier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:27:18 CEST 2011

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for developing GMSH !!! I used it for
several years now as pre-processor to create meshes for my structural
calculation software and it works very well :).

Now, I want to go further and would like to create variable thickness shell
elements. So, I was wondering if there is a way to interpolate a scalar
field inside a 2D meshed surfaced (i.e. the thickness) ? Basically, I want
to define a surface with a variable thickness (let's say I know the value at
some nodes of its border), and, once the meshing has been done, I want to
retrieve the value of the interpolated thickness at each new created nodes
inside the surface in order to define variable thickness shell elements.

Do you see any way to do so ?

Thank you in advance !

Best regards,

Mathieu ARQUIER