[Gmsh] Question related to periodic meshes on volumes

Thierry J. Massart thmassar at batir.ulb.ac.be
Thu Nov 17 23:33:44 CET 2011

Hi,

First of all, congratulations for this nice tool !

I am trying to use GMSH to generate 3D meshes on periodic RVEs obtained
from a 3D Voronoi tessellation. The translation from the tessellation to
the GMSH .geo file is automated.

The cube is made of distinct volumic grains (i.e. volumes) such that a
periodic geometry is obtained along 3 axes x, y, z. Such RVEs can be
quite complex, with several hundreds of 'grains', and one of the faces
of the cube can consist of many Line loops. A continuous 3D mesh is
obtained using the 'Coherence' command.
My objective is to get a periodic mesh on opposite faces.

I read from several previous posts that extrusion followed by deletion
of the generated volumes and lines could be a way to enforce
periodicity. However, with the number of volumes and surfaces involved
in the microstructures I deal with, this can become rather cumbersome.

My question is therefore whether there exists a possibility to enforce
mesh periodicity along all three directions using the 'Periodic Surface'
command.
If so, what is the meaning of the 'expression' field in the command
synopsis from the user guide in that case ?

Many thanks your help!

Thierry

--
T.J. Massart