[Gmsh] Multiple materials in GMSH

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:26:54 CET 2012

On Feb 8, 2012 9:50 PM, "Bojan Niceno" <bojan.niceno at psi.ch> wrote:

> To whom may it concern,
>

> I am looking at GMSH as a possible replacement for commercial mesh
generation software we currently use in my group.

> We deal a lot with conjugate heat transfer problems, i.e. we solve fluid
flow and heat transfer equations in "fluid part" of the computational
domain, whereas we solve the heat conduction in the solid part of the
domain.

> In some applications we have even more: the fluid, the solid steel, and
solid nuclear fuel.

> Is it possible, with GMSH, to create computational domains made up from
several materials?

Yes, indeed, I've done a lot of conjugate heat transfer on Gmsh meshes. The
way to do it is to declare each subdomain as a different Physical Volume,
then that will be stored as a tag on its elements in the mesh file. Then
you can associate different coefficients or activate different terms
accordingly in your assembler/solver program.