[Gmsh] Mac installation nightmare

Yun Tao yuntao at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 15 02:07:22 CET 2012

Hi fellow gmsh users,

I've recently tried to install Gmsh in conjunction with Fipy (python-based
pde solver). However, I've been having trouble getting the Gmsh-based Fipy
codes to work and, after much toying about with bash profile and so forth,
I seemed to have made the problem worse. Installation wise, I've tried two
approaches:

1. Through the Mac OS X binary
http://geuz.org/gmsh/bin/MacOSX/gmsh-2.5.0-MacOSX.dmg
2. Following the steps in https://geuz.org/trac/gmsh/wiki/InstallingGmshDg

For the latter, I initially had incomplete GMSH paths and error messages
upon configuration. After subsequent tweaking, now when I 'ccmake ..' (step
7), all I get is an empty cache.

When reinstalled with .dmg, this is what I get when running the python
script containing gmsh import (attached):

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "circle.py", line 209, in <module>
    exec(fipy.tests.doctestPlus._getScript())
  File "<string>", line 35, in <module>
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FiPy-2.2_dev5124-py2.7.egg/fipy/meshes/gmshImport.py",
line 2214, in __init__
    Gmsh2D.__init__(self, arg, coordDimensions=coordDimensions)
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FiPy-2.2_dev5124-py2.7.egg/fipy/meshes/gmshImport.py",
line 1509, in __init__
    background=background)
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/FiPy-2.2_dev5124-py2.7.egg/fipy/meshes/gmshImport.py",
line 142, in openMSHFile
    raise EnvironmentError("Gmsh version must be >= 2.0.")
EnvironmentError: Gmsh version must be >= 2.0.

This is strange since my Gmsh version is certainly 2.5.0.

A few other oddities occurred over the course of my learning curve. For
instance, when I call 'gmsh t1.geo' at the terminal from the /Volume
directory, only a blank "untitled.geo" window shows up. Only if I
double-click on the file via Finder will the proper display be shown.

Many preemptive thanks for all the help!

Cheers,

--
Yun Tao

Graduate Group of Ecology Doctoral Candidate
Department of Environmental Science and Policy
Center for Population Biology
University of California, Davis