[Gmsh] Physical names and step files

Wayne Christopher wayne at 4raccoons.com
Mon Mar 5 23:56:50 CET 2012

Dear Gmsh Users,

I would like to write a Step file (from my app which uses OpenCascade),
read it into gmsh and create a mesh in batch mode, and read the msh file
back into my app, associating the triangles and tetras with the original
shapes.

What I am seeing is that there is no PhysicalNames section in the output
msh file, and the values of the physical names tag seems arbitrary.
(Also the numbers used for triangle regions and tetra regions overlap).

I'm assuming that the right way to handle this requires me to attach
labels to the volume, surface, curve entities in the step file and
somehow tell gmsh to use these labels as the PhysicalNames in the output
file.  Is this correct and if so how would I specify this?

The other fly in the ointment here is that OpenCascade seems to ignore
the labels I attach to sub-shapes and this seems to be a long-standing
problem - see http://www.opencascade.org/org/forum/thread_14829 ..  Has
anybody dealt with this issue?

Thanks for the help!

     Wayne