[Gmsh] How to import X, Y coordinates from .dat file into gmesh for meshing purpose

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 01:02:51 CEST 2012

On Apr 18, 2012 5:58 AM, "Ashish Garg" <ashish.garg.iisc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> It is a tedious job in writing all the point one by one in the gmsh file
to mesh geometries. I hav a .dat file of a airfoil which I want to mesh. Is
there any way to import all these coordinates into the gmsh or to write
properly in geometry file for GMSH.

I don't think there's any file-reading facility in the .geo scripting
language, so I do this kind of thing with an external script, having used
AWK and Python for the purpose. I find this works quite well, as,
especially with Python, I can really tailor the .geo code generation to my
application.

There has been some mention on this list of the .geo scripting language's
eventually being replaced with Python, but I'm not sure what stage that's
at.