[Gmsh] gmesh to Elmer

Jack Mandelman modeler at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 13 14:20:51 CEST 2012

I recently constructed a 3D model in gmsh to investigate capacitive
coupling among a plurality of microstrip conductors oriented at various
angles to one-and-other.  One model of interest contains three
dielectric regions.  Each dielectric region is defined by a physical
volume entity in gmsh.  Here is the problem encountered when using the
gmsh generated 3D mesh (V2 ascii .msh format) in Elmer:

Although the original .msh file from gmsh has 3 dielectric regions, Elmer claims that it has 5 bodies.  Since the mesh is unstructured and is moderately complex (~300K
tetrehedral elements), displaying the 5 bodies identified by Elmer is
intractable.  I found that the following procedure results in a correct
translation of the mesh from gmsh to Elmer.

1) In gmsh, construct a .geo file, generate mesh and save as ascii V1 .msh file.
2) Import  ascii V1 .msh file (from 1 above) into EnGrid.
3) Export from EnGrid as a gmsh ascii V2 .msh file.
4) Open  gmsh ascii V2 .msh file (from 3 above) with Elmer.
5) Proceed to build Elmer .sif file.

So
 far, only when I generate a V1 .msh file and convert is to a V2 .msh
format with EnGrid can I successfully use the mesh in Elmer.  I don't
know if this is a bug in gmsh or Elmer, or perhaps an incompatibility
between versions.  I am using Elmer version 6.1.0.svn.5272.dfsg-1ubuntu2
 and gmsh version 2.5.1~beta1~svn9724~dfsg-1 in linux mint 12.  Any
comments and/or suggestions regarding this issue are greatly
appreciated.

Dr. Jack Mandelman (aka "The Modelman")