[Gmsh] Getting GMsh to ignroe shoreline points

Jiplea, Marius marius.jiplea11 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 11:35:27 CEST 2012

Hello to all Gmsh users,

At the moment, I am trying to use Gmsh to mesh the ocean surfaces and am experiencing an issue with it. I am extracting, out of some specially designed maps, the contours of altitude 0 (the shorelines, in a simpler way) and am writing them down to a .geo file (using a script). As a result, the .geo file will have a lot of points which are very close to each other (see first attached picture), but I'm happy with that.

Afterwards, when I try and mesh the surface, the mesh is very fine near the shorelines because each point of the 0 contour gets included in the mesh (see second picture attached). The issue here is that I need to control how fine and coarse the mesh needs to be and I can't because it will always be very fine near the shorelines. Up until now, I couldn't get Gmsh to ignore the points. I know that I could use polygon simplification or just set a curved line to go near all the points and that might fix the issue, but I'm especially interested in any way of getting Gmsh to ignore the points on the shoreline.

Any help would be very useful.

King Regards,
Mihai