[Gmsh] periodic, aka. conforming boundary meshes ?

Benedikt Oswald benedikt.oswald at psi.ch
Thu Aug 23 12:31:16 CEST 2012

Dear Mikhail, yes, in fact you are quit rights. Greetings, Benedikt

On Aug 23, 2012, at 6:56 AM, Mikhail Artemiev wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Matthias, I think, Benedikt means not duplicated faces, but faces with the same mesh, that should be created by "Symmetry" command.
> Benedikt, am I right?
>
> I join to Benedikt's question, because periodic mesh is very interesting for me.
>
> Mikhail
>

> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:55:29 +0000
> From: "Zenker, Dr. Matthias" <Matthias.Zenker at erbe-med.com>
> To: 'Benedikt Oswald' <benedikt.oswald at psi.ch>, "gmsh at geuz.org"
> <gmsh at geuz.org>
> Cc: Christophe Geuzaine <cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be>
> Subject: Re: [Gmsh] periodic, aka. conforming boundary meshes ?
>
> Hi,
>
> I try to answer although I am no gmsh developper. ;)
> To my knowledge, the best there is at the moment is to use the "cut and merge faces" feature imported from Salom? which is available under Tools->Options->Geometry->General in the gmsh GUI. Check it and open your geometry file (e.g. a STEP file). If you are lucky, duplicated faces in your geometry will be recognized and merged. It doesn't work for all cases, so there is much room for improvement.
> I am trying to write a postprocessor for such nonconformal meshes, but it is a very tedious work and not mature yet.
> I don't know if there is any work on this subject in the gmsh team...
>
> Matthias

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, GFA
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12

"Passion is required for any great work, and for the revolution passion and audacity are required in big doses.",
 Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Letter to his parents.