[Gmsh] fedora packaging and gmsh/contrib sources

Andre Massing andre.massing at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:39:16 CET 2012

Dear Christophe,

thank you very much for providing us with the relevant information!

On 10/26/2012 09:31 AM, Christophe Geuzaine wrote:

[snip]

> Since the Fedora packaging policy only allows to bundle 3rd party
> libraries in exceptional cases, we would like to ask you a few
> questions about the use and the origin of the sources resided in
> the gmsh/contrib folder:  -HighOrderMeshOptimizer
>
> Is this an official, separate module of gmsh and if so, it is
> licensed under the same license as gmsh? If the sources originate
> from other 3rd party code, could you point out where the original
> sources can be obtained and whether they have been modified in the
> gmsh sources?
>

>> This is currently under heavy development; the final license has
>> not be chosen yet.

Ok, I guess it then has to be - at least temporarily - removed from a
fedora package, as long as the license has not be chosen.

> -lbfgs from the ALGLIB project - http://www.alglib.net/ Are the
> sources in gmsh modified or could the original sources be used in
> principal?
>
>> Yes, it's the same code.
>

> - mmg3d,  MMG3D from
> http://www.math.u-bordeaux1.fr/~cdobrzyn/logiciels/mmg3d.php
>

>> Same code, with a few patches to make it compile on Windows/Mac.
>
> Are the sources in gmsh modified or could the original sources be
> used?
>
> - Salome Are the sources in gmsh modified or could the original
> sources be used?
>

>> Same code, with a few patches to make it compile with recent
>> versions of open cascade (patches might have made their way into
>> the original code, too).

OK, great, we then can/must package these ones separately. The
Windows/Mac patches are not really that relevant for Fedora :) and the
open cascade libs are in a non-free repo which probably means that
gmsh will be built without linking against the open cascade
libraries. By the way, does that mean a severe reduction in the
functionality of gmsh?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Andre