[Gmsh] Simulation

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Tue Nov 6 13:12:27 CET 2012

2012/11/5  <mgeetha at aol.com>:
> Hi
> I have triangular mesh file as follows:
>
> Mesh No. coord x     coord y
> 1           xxxxx         xxxxx
> 2           xxxxx         xxxxx
>
> and connectivity data.
>

> Displacement file is as follows:
>
> Time step 0.0
>
> Node nos.   displacement x    displacement y
> 1                    xxxxx              xxxxx
> 2                    xxxxx              xxxxx
> Time Step 1.0
>
> -------------
>
> Time Step 2.0

> Is it possibile to simulate the data in gmsh? if yes could you please
> explain how?

Yes.  Gmsh is well-suited to this task; in particular, unlike some
other finite-element solution formats, it does not require repetition
of the mesh for each time-step.

The first thing is that the data should be converted into a format
readable by Gmsh, e.g. the native MSH as described at
http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#MSH-ASCII-file-format.  For
this you can use AWK, Python, or your preferred scripting language.

The second thing is that you can use multiple files.  For this
situation of multiple time-steps on a common mesh, I put the mesh and
initial time-step in the first file and then subsequent files only
contain the new solutions, no mesh.  The solution gets specified as
NodeData, and in each NodeData block you get to specify an integer
time-step and the real time.  Note that each file should begin with a
MeshFormat block.