[Gmsh] Named faces in Step to physical surfaces

Matthias Sedlmaier Winterheart at gmx.de
Tue Dec 18 16:18:19 CET 2012

Hello Gmsh developers!

In my CAD system it is possible to name the faces of the model. This
names appear also in the exported step file. I think this is also true
for other CAD systems.
For example:
One face of a cube is named 'support' and if you open the step file in a
text editor you can find the line:
#800=ADVANCED_FACE('support',(#790),#450,.T.);
Now it would be great if after importing in GMSH these named faces would
be appear as physical surfaces.
Especially for non-interactive mesh generationwith constraints, this
would be advantageous. Do you think it is possible to implement such a
function?

Kind regards and merry Christmas
Matthias