[Gmsh] Malformed cells at boundary between surfaces

Johannes Reinhardt johannes.reinhardt at unifr.ch
Sun Mar 17 21:10:26 CET 2013

Hi everybody,

I try to generate a 2D quad mesh for a geometry that consists of
several surfaces. However sometimes I trigger a bug that results
in a mesh with malformed cells at a boundary between surfaces.

I attached one of the geometries where I run into this problem. The
artifacts appear at the top left and bottom right inner
boundary of the dumbbell shaped inner surface. See also the
attached screenshots. Slightly changing some of the mesh element sizes
for some points sometimes helps. It also depends on the meshing
algorithm: For this geometry MeshAdapt, DelQuad and BAMG have
artifacts, Frontal and Delaunay not.

I am running gmsh 2.7.0 Linux 64bit precompiled binary on Ubuntu 11.10
64bit. I mesh the geometry using the commandline

gmsh -2 -format msh1 artifact.geo

If I mesh from the gui, the artifacts are not visible. I need to use the
msh1 format, because the solver that I use only reads msh1.

Regards

Johannes Reinhardt

--
Johannes Reinhardt <johannes.reinhardt at unifr.ch>