[Gmsh] Small dimension objects from CAD software - mesh generation problem

Matija Mraovic matija.mraovic at guest.arnes.si
Mon Mar 18 11:02:28 CET 2013

Hello!

I am trying to generate a mesh for use in freefem++. I am modelling an
interdigitated electric capacitor, my geometry was designed in CAD
software.

First I have imported the geometry directly (only for two electrodes)
and ran the mesh generator. It worked fine and simulation result was
also fine.

Then i wanted to include the substrate under the electrodes. This
didn't work, if mesh was generated, the error from FEM was unacceptable.
Then i
have tried with stripping the geometry file to include just the planar
projection of electrodes and extrude them, but this also doesn't work.
I'm attaching this in two files (plane.geo, extruded.geo).

I am using milimeter units, i multiply all points with 1e-3 in
plane.geo file. I tried setting the characteristic length to 1e-1,
1e-2... and i get
errors about identical points or mostly gmsh crash. My system is 64bit
Win7.

Please, if someone would be so kind to suggest a solution to this
problem. Is it maybe because geometry is so strange (eg. 30mm width,
0.01mm height)?

Thank you.

Best regards.
mm