[Gmsh] Small dimension objects from CAD software - mesh generation problem

Matija Mraovic matija.mraovic at guest.arnes.si
Wed Mar 20 08:18:37 CET 2013

What do you mean that volume is not closed? How should i do it
correctly? Sorry, i am very new in this.

Yes, there are a lot of
elements... Now i'm trying to split the vertical lines and try to mesh
just the vertical faces more finely.

Since most of the FEM action is
going on between the electrodes. I'm thinking to simply split the
vertical lines by inserting one

more middle point and mesh it very
fine.

Thank you for the help.

mm

19.03.2013 17:19, je
Jean-François Remacle napisal

Mraovic <matija.mraovic at guest.arnes.si [1]> a écrit :

>> Hi,
>>

>> There are two files:
>>
>> -plane.geo is just a definition file
included in extruded.geo

>> -extruded.geo is the 3d geometry i
would like to mesh.

>> The "extruded.geo" file is the right one,
"plane.geo" is just a planar geometry, which i am then extruding to

>> certain z-value (height) in extruded.geo. It seems to me you were
making 2d mesh, i'm trying to make 3d (extruded.geo).

>> The plane
under the electrodes is substrate (plastic, foil...) on which electrodes
are actually printed. I want to calculate

>> how the capacity of
capacitor changes when substrate is changed. So basically it should be
as near as possible to electrodes,

>> but not on the same plane as
electrodes. Now, I have placed it at -1e-6 on z-axis and electrodes are
at 0.0. Then I extrude

>> electrodes up to 0.01mm, and substrate
down to -0.06mm. I also extrude the large bottom plane so it forms a big
cube - this is the

>> surrounding air.
>
> The 3D geometry is
incorrect. The volume is not closed. Here is a correct version of it.

Note that the mesh sizes you define produce a 3D mesh of about 9

Links:
------
[1] mailto:matija.mraovic at guest.arnes.si