[Gmsh] calculating deformation under own weight

Roman Putanowicz putanowr at l5.pk.edu.pl
Sat Mar 23 05:14:51 CET 2013

Dear Andrei,
> Consider a simple object, like a thick round flat disk, laying down
> on its back on 3 small equidistant support points. Disk diameter
> about 300 mm, thickness about 50 mm. Due to gravity, the disk will
> sag a little around the supports.
>
> How would you calculate sagging in every point on the top face of the disk?

Well, there are may FEM system that can do such calculations, and every
user will have different preferences in selecting one.

As a quick example I have simulated a steel slab under dead weight with
Tochnog. All details are under this link:
http://www.l5.pk.edu.pl/~putanowr/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:gallery:slab

This is not the geometry you have described but with little scripting
in any language it is easy to convert gmsh generated grid to Tochnog
format. Visualisation was done with ParaView but I am sure you can achieve
the same with gmsh.

Regards,

Roman

--
Roman Putanowicz, PhD  < putanowr at l5.pk.edu.pl  >
Institute for Computational Civil Engng (L-5)