[Gmsh] Meshing with rectangular elements??

Mikhail Artemiev artemiev.mikhail at gmail.com
Thu May 2 11:11:30 CEST 2013

Hi Muhammad!
As I know Gmsh can't build parallelepipedal grids (3D case of rectangular
ones) for arbitrary geometry. You have to use transfinite algorithm and
extrusions to get them. Your geometry can be redefined in the way I've
mentioned above, and you can get the desired mesh - have a look at the
manual/tutorials (not only the sections of recombining - but the sections
of Extrude command as well).
>From other hand, do you really need rectangular (parallelepipedal) mesh
exactly? Maybe it's possible to work with more general quadrilateral
(hexahedral) grid? Recently I was interested in working with FEM library
deal.II, that can treat only hexahedral meshes. So I wrote a converter from
Gmsh's mesh (tetrahedral) to hexahedral one. If you are interested, welcome
to http://code.google.com/p/tethex/wiki/Tethex
This tool hasn't been extensively tested, but for my models it works
perfectly well.

Cheers,
Mikhail

Dear Muhammad,

Try

Mesh.RecombineAll = 1;

Also, you may want to look up into the documentation the following two

Mesh.Algorithm
Mesh.RecombinationAlgorithm

Regards
--