[Gmsh] Remeshing for a cylinder sticking in another solid

Zev Senesca zevsenesca at googlemail.com
Sun May 12 04:22:55 CEST 2013

Hello,

I am trying to create a mesh for a cylinder that sticks in another solid.
For this purpose, I generated 3 non-closed meshes using the boolean
operations of Rhino 3D: one for the surface of the part of the cylinder
that is inside of the solid, one for the part sticking out and one for the
surface of the solid (with a hole, but without the mesh described first). I
merged all 3 (STL) files in Gmsh, reclassified the resulting mesh and tried
to remesh as described in tutorial 13 (I defined surface loops and volumes
for both the cylinder and the solid with the "drill-hole").

However, after 2D remeshing (and ignoring several "Vertex ... not found"
errors) there are small gaps and overlaps around the hole. The meshes for
the upper and lower part of the cylinder form a nicely closed mesh, though.
Any other combination of meshes leads to gaps and overlaps.
2D remeshing and 3D meshing worked for a cylinder sticking in a cube, but a
"curved" surface seems to cause problems. I've already tried a lot of
combinations of meshing algorithms, geometry (healing and tolerance)
settings, reclassify options, remesh parameters, surface normal
orientations etc.

Please see the attached files for an example. Any suggestion on how to
solve or work around this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Markus