[Gmsh] extending gmsh scripting language with python functions

trophime christophe.trophime at lncmi.cnrs.fr
Thu Jul 18 16:55:46 CEST 2013

On Thu, 2013-07-18 at 15:51 +0200, Jonathan Lambrechts wrote:
> Hi,
> I just added python fields (they will be available in the next nightly
> build).
>
> There is no embedded python interpreter in Gmsh, we rather provide
> python bindings for the Gmsh library. This is still work in progress,
> in particular there is no documentation nor stable API, we just bind
> most of Gmsh internal functions to python.
> Gmsh Library and python bindings can be downloaded with the gmsh
> dynamic library from  Gmsh website :
> http://geuz.org/gmsh/bin/Linux/gmsh-svn-Linux64-dynamic.tgz
> http://geuz.org/gmsh/bin/MacOSX/gmsh-svn-MacOSX-dynamic.tgz
> http://geuz.org/gmsh/bin/Windows/gmsh-svn-Windows64-dynamic.zip
>
> On linux and OSX, to build the python bindings, go to the "gmshpy"
> sub-directory the run the python script "setup.py" (e.g. python
> setup.py build; python setup.py install). On windows, I'm not sure if
> it works ...
>
> An example of python field is attached, the python script imports the
> gmsh python bindings then loads a geo file and adds some python fields
> and at the end, the GUI is started.

When trying to package latest rev for debian, the installation fails :
 --
Installing: /tmp/buildd/gmsh-tetgen-2.8.3~svn16274/debian/tmp/usr/gmshpy/extra_include/Field.h
CMake Error at wrappers/gmshpy/cmake_install.cmake:232 (FILE):

"/tmp/buildd/gmsh-tetgen-2.8.3~svn16274/wrappers/gmshpy/../../Mesh/PythonField.h".
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  cmake_install.cmake:347 (INCLUDE)

> regards,
>
> Jonathan
>
> On 11/07/13 11:49, Nico Schlömer wrote:
>
> > I'd be very much interested in a hands-on example of Gmsh + Python
> > as well.
> >

> > --Nico
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Christophe Geuzaine
> > <cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be> wrote:
> >
> >         On 11 Jul 2013, at 09:07, moritz braun
> >         <moritz.braun at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >         > Dear All
> >         >
> >         > I am using gmsh in the moment to
> >         > create 3D grids with  background field to control the
> >         characteristic length.
> >         > Writing functions as  .F attribute of an Field variable is
> >         rather restrictive
> >         > it would be nice if  gmsh could be extended by embedding
> >         the python interpreter for
> >         >  such functions.
> >         > How difficult whould that be?
> >         >

> >         I think you can already define fields in the Gmsh Python
> >         interface (CC'ing Jon on this one: Jon, could you send a
> >         small example?). If this is the case, then your python
> >         script could simply import the Gmsh module, merge your
> >         current .geo definitions, then define the fields directly in
> >         Python.
> >

> >         > regards
> >         >
> >         > Moritz
> >         >
> >         > --
> >         > Prof M Braun         Tel.:27-12-4298006/8027
> >         > Physics Department  Fax.: 27-12-4293643
> >         > University of South Africa (UNISA)
> >         > moritz.braun at gmail.com
> >         > P.O. Box 392
> >         > 0003
> >         > UNISA
> >         >  South Africa
> >         > http://moritz-braun.blogspot.com

> >         > gmsh mailing list
> >         > gmsh at geuz.org
> >
> >         --
> >         Prof. Christophe Geuzaine
> >         University of Liege, Electrical Engineering and Computer
> >         Science
> >         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~geuzaine

Christophe TROPHIME
Research Engineer