[Gmsh] Illegal tets message

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Jul 19 07:32:03 CEST 2013

On 18 Jul 2013, at 10:25, Steve Daley <stevedaley at sky.com> wrote:

> I am running GMSH to produce the tet mesh around a closed ended circular cylinder at 135 degrees angle of incidence to use in a CFD simulation.  I use a STL file to define the cylinder triangular surface. The outer boundary of the volume is a six faced box.
>
> GMSH produces a tet mesh around the scylinder inside the box but outputs a message  "NN illegal tets are still in the mesh" where NN is a number depending on the number of triangles in the STL file.  How does GMSH decide a tet is an "illegal tet" ?

If it's quality is low (0 <= gamma <= 0.1). You can check the detailed quality in Tools->Statistics. Applying both optimizers can help in that case (ours, and Netgen's: -optimize, -optimize_netgen)

> For other cases, GMSH also outputs the message "NN points could not be inserted". NN is again a number.  Is there any way to find out why there are problems with these points and where they are ?

That's just an informational message (for us); it has no impact on the quality/validity of the final mesh.