[Gmsh] 3D mesh from surfaces defined as points

David Bernstein david at terafrac.org
Fri Aug 23 18:25:51 CEST 2013

Hi Jack, I'm assuming the points which define the top surface are not already on a simple surface like a plane or a sphere.  I guess your problem is that you have to define a surface which contains the points and let gmsh know what the surface is.  One way to do this is to create a triangulation of the point set and then define lines, line loops, and surfaces from the triangles and then create a surface loop out of all the triangles.  However, I don't know of an algorithm that will create a triangulation of a set of points in 3D in such a way that it makes a sensible surface (I'm not an expert in this area though) so you might have to do the initial triangulation manually.

Regards,
Dave