[Gmsh] GMSH 3D Boundary Layer Capabilities?

John Pease Moore jpmoore4 at MIT.EDU
Sun Sep 8 17:54:57 CEST 2013

Hi All,

Here is my problem:

I am importing a .step surface file representation of my geometry (a wing) into GMSH. I can make an isotropic volume mesh for this case just fine. However, I can't manage to generate a boundary layer mesh around the aircraft surface.

I know there is a BoundaryLayer field, but this doesn't seem to work (even using Delaunay). I've also tried extruding the surface mesh, but get the error "Impossible to extrude entity 6 (of type 306)". The geometries I am trying to extrude were originally .step surfaces.

I've read on this list that the MMG3D algorithm currently does not support holes in the 3D mesh (as would be the case for an aircraft volume grid), so it seems like this would preclude using anisotropic unstructured meshes for this purpose. Is this correct?

Does GMSH support the capability to do what I'm trying to do? If not, is there an intent to include it in the future?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John