[Gmsh] Extruding a circle into a cylinder

Sacconi, Andrea a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 9 17:33:12 CEST 2013

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the Extrude command.
I would like to create a cylindrical mesh, but I need to generate a mesh only on the lateral surface of the cylinder. In other words, I don't want any elements on the two circles, top and bottom.

I wrote this:

lc = 0.5;
Point(1) = {-1, 0, 0, lc};
Point(2) = {0, -1, 0, lc};
Point(3) = {1, 0, 0, lc};
Point(4) = {0, 1, 0, lc};
Point(5) = {0, 0, 0, lc};
Circle(1) = {1, 5, 2};
Circle(2) = {2, 5, 3};
Circle(3) = {3, 5, 4};
Circle(4) = {4, 5, 1};
Line Loop(5) = {1, 2, 3, 4};

geoExtrude[] = Extrude {0, 0, 1} { Line{5}; };

but I don't get any extrusion. I see only the circle centred at (0, 0, 0) with radius 1.
Is it possible to get the cylinder I need? How would you proceed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Andrea

Andrea Sacconi
PhD student, Applied Mathematics
AMMP Section, Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London,
London SW7 2AZ, UK
a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk