[Gmsh] Integer flag to .msh elements

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Thu Oct 24 13:01:45 CEST 2013

On 24/10/13 11:57, Umberto Iemma wrote:

> First, I'd like to thank the authors for the wonderful work they are doing !
> Gmsh is one of the most useful free technical tools ever!
> Thanks!
>
> After this, I have a question.
>
> It is possible to include in the .msh file a integer flag to each element ?
> I need this to specify particular physical properties of the boundary.

Hi Umberto,

you should use Physical groups for that purpose, see
http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#Elementary-vs-physical-entities

"Groups of elementary geometrical entities can also be defined and are called “physical” entities.
These physical entities cannot be modified by geometry commands: their only purpose is to assemble
elementary entities into larger groups, possibly modifying their orientation, so that they can be
referred to by the mesh module as single entities. As is the case with elementary entities, each
physical point, physical line, physical surface or physical volume must be assigned a unique
identification number. "

and tutorial t1.geo, http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#t1_002egeo

Regards,

Dave