[Gmsh] Surface mesh contains ugly elements

Rene Schneider rene.schneider at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Oct 30 12:49:03 CET 2013

On 10/30/2013 12:14 PM, Martin Vymazal wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I'm trying to generate a surface mesh of a bump given by a sine function. I
> tried
> 1) to take the contour of the bump (defined by a spline) and extrude it
> 2) generate two contours (front and back), then create a line loop and a
> surface
>
> In both cases, I have a bad mesh at the beginning and at the end of the bump.
> I'd prefer to have a fully unstructured mesh, but transfinite will do as well.
> Unfortunately neither of them works (see attached pictures).
>
> Does anyone have an idea how to fix it?

Hi Martin,

this reminds me of a bug upon which I stumbled myself. Sebastian Eiser
then pointed me to the bug report:
   https://geuz.org/trac/gmsh/ticket/184 (gmsh:gmsh)

As far as I know, this is still not fixed.

If you observe this with the latest svn version, you can add your
example to the bug report, to give it more weight.

Rene