[Gmsh] Transfinite volume

Trevor Strickler trevor.strickler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 15:57:56 CET 2013

Hi George,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. 'Cannot tetrahedralize volume with quadrangles on boundary.'

     Although I think the gmsh team is working on improving and adding
unstructured 3D hex  algorithms, those are still experimental and will not
work on volumes bounded by non-manifold faces (If that is not still true, I
am happy to be corrected). You would use one by changing the 3D mesh
algorithm (Mesh.Algorithm3D=6 for frontalHEX, for example).

    If that is not the solution for your geometry, you can use QuadTri
options. This allows you to subdivide all the outer elements of a
structured grid into tetrahedra, prisms, and pyramids so that you can have
all triangles on the bounding faces. The internal elements will still be
structured and undivided.  You can read about it in the manual here:

http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/#Structured-grids

Note that in addition to the QuadTri option for the extruded volumes, there
is a version of QuadTri for Transfinite Volumes (see, TransfQuadTri
command).

Also, I attached a .geo file showing an example of QuadTri usage for
extruded volumes.

2. 'Transfinite algorithm only available for 5- and 6-face volumes.'

   The answer here is that the transfinite algorithm interpolates in 3D
from one face across to another.  It can only do this for 5- and 6- sided
volumes.  You might have to use an unstructured algorithm, or find another
way to work around the problem.

Regards,

Trevor Strickler