[Gmsh] Meshing an ellipse with quadrilaterals - forces program to quit

Arne Muecke arne.muecke at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 07:48:23 CET 2013

Hello
first of all, I am new to GMSH and still in the beginnings of my learning process.
What I want to do is creating an ellipse (2d) and mesh it with quadrilaterals (4 nodes).

I had success creating the ellipse geometry as followed:
-------------------------------------------------------------------- beginning of the file -------------------------------------
//mesh characteristic length
cl = 0.5;

Point(1) = {0,0,0,cl};

Point(2) = {10,0,0,cl};

Point(3) = {-1.4142,0,0,cl};

Point(4) = {1.4142,0,0,cl};

Point(10) = {0,0.7071,0,cl};

Point(20) = {0,-0.7071,0,cl};

Ellipsis(5) = {10,1,2,3};

Ellipsis(6) = {4,1,2,10};

Ellipsis(7) = {20,1,2,3};

Ellipsis(8) = {4,1,2,20};

Line Loop(9)={5,6,7,8};

Plane Surface(11)={9};

//Boundaries
Physical Line(12)={5};
Physical Line(13)={6};
Physical Line(14)={7};
Physical Line(15)={8};

Physical Surface(21)={11};

So with this .geo file, I start GMSH. When I am trying to create the 2D Mesh, the program just crashes. For reference, I attached the log file.