[Gmsh] bug report?

franklynb at mindspring.com franklynb at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 16 17:58:12 CET 2013

>From: gmsh-request at ace20.montefiore.ulg.ac.be
>On Thursday, December 12, 2013 07:06 AM, michele cavalerin wrote:
>> Good evening,
>>
>> I installed gmsh on Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS by typing sudo apt-get install gmsh.
>>
>> Is there a way to update the current version?
>
>For the official ubuntu version, you may have to wait for the package
>maintainer to updates it and upload it to the repository, which may or
>may not happen. Maybe you can file a bug report to make a request.

Michele,

A "bug report" is not needed/warranted for this process. Its "not a bug"!

You might consider/need to update from 12.04, which is now a few years old,
to the latest "Long Term System" which is probably 13.10. You may need to
do this in three steps: 12.10, 13.04, 13.10 to avoid "clobbering" your current
install.

This process would likely have the side effect of updating to a later release of gmsh.
Check the launchpad <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/+package/gmsh> database for
more information on your specific hardware platform. At a glance, 13.10
seems to distribute gmsh 2.8.2, which is likely a later version than you
currently deploy. You did not say which gmsh you currently run: "precise" <12.04>
only supports gmsh 2.5.

Updating your system will enable you to <continue to> use binary distributions,
rather than compiling from source; which is simpler to install; and the dependencies are
already "worked out for you" by the package maintainer. Compiling from source requires
you to secure the needed libraries -- in specific versions. See "apt-get install"
for more details.

--frankb