[Gmsh] Segmentation fault upon meshing small surface

Oliver oliver.willekens at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 09:57:29 CEST 2014

I have a rather simple 2D mesh, for which I'm getting a segmentation fault
upon meshing.

I have tried meshing it after starting from the unrolled geometry and I
have tried meshing it with gmsh versions 2.5.1 (default under ubuntu 12.04)
and 2.8.4 (installed last week, to see if I could successfully mesh it with
a more modern version).

I notice one odd thing about the mesh: if I plot the surface numbers and
surfaces (the "crosses"), then the surface number (35) is not at all in the
center of the area. I'm not sure if it is related or if its position is
merely calculated based on the density of nodes.

The segmentation fault seems to occur at the same time when it is meshing
surface 35 (something that became apparent using the older gmsh version).

Please find below the unrolled geometry. Can you provide any insights into
why I'm getting this error? It's the first time I'm getting segmentation
faults from gmsh, and I've been using it for about 2 years now...
I can also add the actual geometry file (which uses Extrusions,
Translations and For loops), but I don't think it's relevant. Let me know
though...

cl__1 = 1;
Point(1) = {0, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(2) = {10, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(3) = {15, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(5) = {25, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(9) = {30, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(11) = {40, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(15) = {45, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(17) = {55, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(21) = {60, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(23) = {70, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(27) = {75, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(29) = {85, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(33) = {90, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(35) = {100, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(39) = {105, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(41) = {115, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(45) = {125, 0, 0, cl__1};
Point(46) = {-40, 0, -50, cl__1};
Point(47) = {125, 0, -50, cl__1};
Point(48) = {-40, 0, 0.5, cl__1};
Point(49) = {125, 0, 0.5, cl__1};
Point(50) = {-40, 0, 1.3, cl__1};
Point(51) = {125, 0, 1.3, cl__1};
Point(52) = {-40, 0, 11.3, cl__1};
Point(53) = {125, 0, 11.3, cl__1};
Point(54) = {-40, 0, 0, cl__1};
Line(1) = {1, 2};
Line(2) = {2, 3};
Line(3) = {3, 5};
Line(4) = {5, 9};
Line(5) = {9, 11};
Line(6) = {11, 15};
Line(7) = {15, 17};
Line(8) = {17, 21};
Line(9) = {21, 23};
Line(10) = {23, 27};
Line(11) = {27, 29};
Line(12) = {29, 33};
Line(13) = {33, 35};
Line(14) = {35, 39};
Line(15) = {39, 41};
Line(16) = {41, 45};
Line(17) = {46, 47};
Line(18) = {48, 49};
Line(19) = {50, 51};
Line(20) = {48, 50};
Line(21) = {49, 51};
Line(23) = {52, 53};
Line(24) = {50, 52};
Line(25) = {51, 53};
Line(27) = {46, 54};
Line(28) = {54, 1};
Line(29) = {48, 54};
Line(30) = {45, 49};
Line(31) = {47, 45};
Line Loop(22) = {18, 21, -19, -20};
Ruled Surface(22) = {22};
Line Loop(26) = {19, 25, -23, -24};
Ruled Surface(26) = {26};
Line Loop(33) = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16,
-31, -17, 27, 28};
Plane Surface(33) = {33};
Line Loop(35) = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 30,
-18, 29};
Plane Surface(35) = {35};