[Gmsh] A stl file written by VTK cannot mesh

Rene Schneider rene.schneider at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Aug 21 07:19:07 CEST 2014

On 08/21/2014 05:40 AM, Liz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using VTK to reconstruct a boundary from images, written as 'stl' file,  and next I want to apply Gmsh to generating tetrahedron inside this boundary .
>
> The problem is Gmsh can read it while cannot 3D mesh it. Is there any solution to this question?
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
>
> Best Regards
>
> Liz

Hey Liz,
the first two likely reasons that spring to my mind are:

1. The stl describes only a surface. If you want a volume to be meshed,
you have to declare a volume in gmsh. To do this, chose the geometry
menu, add a volume, select the surface to define a volume from it.

2. The stl might have holes. You would need to plug these first.

Hope this helps.

Rene