[Gmsh] Ruled surfaces and horns

Bjørn Kolbrek bjorkol at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Oct 16 09:28:16 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm using gmsh to create mesh for horns (for loudspeakers, but it could
be for instruments as well), and for horns of rectangular cross section,
it works well. But for circular/axisymmetric horns, I get some problems.

Basically, I divide the horn circumference into arcs, that together make
complete circles. There are several circles along the horn (mostly to
check the geometry). Then I have spline lines running along the length
of the horn, making up the contour. Two spline lines and one arc at each
end of the horn are then combined into a ruled surface.

This is where the problem comes. The ruled surface follows the arcs at
the ends, but not in between. It bulges out from the circles along the
horn. If I use only two arcs around the horn, it becomes oval. If I use
more arcs, it becomes "flower shaped", instead of perfectly round. I
guess the problem is that the ruled surface is concave in one direction
an convex in the other, although the problem is still there to a small
extent when the horn is a paraboloid. If it is a cone, there is no
problem, but most of the horns I want to mesh are trumpet shaped.

Is there a solution or workaround to make the horn perfectly circular
all the way?

Regards,
Bjørn