[Gmsh] meshing around existing nodes on Earth's surface

Hetényi György gyorgy.hetenyi at sed.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 1 15:55:17 CEST 2015

Good afternoon,

I am new to GMSH and I have only spent about 10 minutes looking at the website and the manual, so please excuse me if my question is too naive.

I would be interested to know whether and how GMSH could be used for the following problem:
-there is a region defined on the surface of the Earth (given as a series of latitude-longitude pairs),
-the goal is to make a roughly equally spaced mesh on this spherical region (characterized with one parameter, average distance between nodes),
-there are already fixed nodes (initial mesh?) within this region that the final mesh should contain exactly (the edge of the surface does not have constrained points).

Any kind of help to start with the above problem would be appreciated.

With best regards,

György Hetényi

Swiss Seismological Service
ETH Zürich