[Gmsh] Difficulty with generating a volume mesh from a stl file

David Love dml42 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 28 12:09:57 CEST 2015

Dear Geordie,

Thank you very much for your reply.

You are right, GMSH does not generate zero volume tetrahedra. I think the
issues with the finite element simulations are due to a combination of my
Matlab script and GMSH's volume meshing routine. When loading the volume
mesh into COMSOL a minimum quality factor of 6E-10 (average quality 0.66)
is obtained, which is rather poor. I think this is primarily due to
stretched tetrahedra, which due to rounding errors may have lead to the
interpretation of 'zero volume' elements. I also noticed that more recent
versions of GMSH have the tendency to fill a volume with 'super nodes' that
connect to many surface nodes. After optimisation with COMSOL the minimum
quality factor could be improved to 3E-2 (average quality 0.69) .

Aside: The mesh statistics use a quality metric that is worked out for each
tetrahedra in the mesh and is proportional to d_i/d_o, where d_i would be
the diameter of the largest sphere entirely enclosed in the tetrahedra, and
d_o is the diameter of the smallest sphere that can entirely enclose a
tetrahedra. This is normalised so that quality=1 for a equilateral shape.

For my simulations an ideal mesh has tetrahedrons with approximately the
same volumes, where each node is part of 4-10 tetrahedrons and where
tetrahedrons are not distorted. Do you know of any ways in GMSH to prevent
'super nodes' and encourage more consistent volumes when generating a
volume mesh?

Thank you again for your help.

Kind regards,
David