[Gmsh] How does GMSH know which side of a surface is the INside?

John Villarrubia John.Villarrubia at nist.gov
Thu Jul 16 15:29:54 CEST 2015

Hello everyone,

I note in the documentation that line loops are oriented, and in writing
a script to creates a .geo file I was careful to orient all my line
loops clockwise when viewed from inside. However, I have since noticed
that when I define a simple structure (e.g., a cube) using the GMSH GUI,
the .geo file it produces has some of the sides clockwise and some
counter-clockwise.

That being the case, how does GMSH know which side of a face is the
inside of my cube and which the outside?

John