[Gmsh] building 3D mesh from 2D surfaces

RENARD Francois francois.renard at cea.fr
Tue Aug 18 08:58:47 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I'm trying to use GMSH to mesh a 3D volume defined by two (irregular)
surfaces (for examples the substratum of an aquifer at the bottom and
the topographic level at the top).

I'd like to know how it's possible with GMSH.

I tried to mesh first the two surfaces and to ask GMSH to mesh the
volume but I get always poor results with lot of warnings :

Warning : Could not orient normal of surface 10
Warning : Could not orient normal of surface 12
Warning : Could not orient normal of surface 13 ... (see attachment.log)

I've tryed the very simple joined geometry (attachment.geo) , with two
plane surfaces joined by lines, but the 3D mesh result is awful.

I don't understand what can be wrong and would be interested in having
some help to resolve this problem.
The goal is to deal with more complex (no plane) surfaces...

Thank you,

François