[Gmsh] Bug in 2D structured Mesh

Francisco Barceló lfbarcelo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 22:38:52 CEST 2015

In triangle structured meshes, with internal transfinite lines, local node
numbering does not have the same orientation on all elements, i.e. some are
numbered clockwise and some are numbered counterclockwise.

To be more specific, the switch in the numbering order occurs on elements
on different sides of an internal transfinite line.

This issue is problematic for solving FV and FE problems with a mesh
generated by gmsh.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this issue? I could not find any
renumbering tools within Gmsh.

You can find attached both the problematic .geo and the .msh files.

In the .msh file:
- line 771, element 465 is numbered clockwise.
- line 780, element 474 ins numbered counterclockwise.