[Gmsh] Cannot run gmsh from command line for FiPy but can use GUI

Dan Brunner dan at brunnerd.com
Sat Oct 10 17:35:12 CEST 2015

I've tried to install gmsh in my local area on our lab's Red Hat Linux
server (note that I do not have admin privileges, so I cannot sudo or
modify things in /usr/bin) by:

> wget http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/bin/Linux/gmsh-2.10.1-Linux64.tgz

> tar -xzvf gmsh-2.10.1-Linux64.tgz

The gmsh GUI will run if I double-click on the icon in a folder. This is of
minimal utility for me because I plan on scripting analysis.

But it will not run from the command line:

> cd gmsh-2.10.1-Linux/bin/

> gmsh

-bash: gmsh: command not found

Also, FiPy--the application I ultimately plan on using the meshes--can not
find gmsh (I've shortened the output with ... for readability):

> > ipython

In [*1*]: from fipy import *

In [*2*]: mesh=Gmsh2D('''cellSize=0.05,radius=1.0''')

*EnvironmentError*: Gmsh version must be >= 2.0.

Help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

~Dan