[Gmsh] Problem in anisotropic mesh generation

Andrea Ferrero andrea_ferrero at polito.it
Fri Oct 16 11:48:04 CEST 2015

Dear Gmsh users,
I am trying to generate anisotropic meshes by the BAMG tool included in
Gmsh.
I can't get anisotropic elements when the elements  are oriented to
certain directions.

For example, I generated an isotropic background mesh on a circular
domain (radius=2) which I used to define a metric file. In each node of
the this background mesh I define the metric tensor with the same
parameters for all the nodes. In particular, I set h1=0.1, h2=0.5 and
theta=pi/4. The obtained metric field shows the following parameters:
m11=52, m22=52, m12=48.
If I use these parameters I get the required anisotropic mesh shown in
the image aniso.png.

However, if I set theta=-pi/4 or theta=3*pi/4 I get the isotropic mesh
reported in the image iso.png. I would expect to get an anisotropic mesh
also with these parameters but with the elements aligned to a direction
perpendicular to the previous case.
In this second case the parameters of the metric field are m11=52,
m22=52, m12=-48.
Why do I get an isotropic mesh when theta=-pi/4?

I use the following command to generate the mesh with Gmsh 2.10.1:
gmsh -2 test.geo -algo bamg -bgm metric_file.mtr -anisoMax 100

Thank you very much

Andrea