[Gmsh] step files : could not orient normal of surface

DOLLE Guillaume (MAI) dolle at math.unistra.fr
Thu May 19 17:09:48 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I encountered some problems while working with opencascade files (.step) created with a CAD software.

1. I created a geometry containing pipes and I'd like to include inner sections using GMSH.
It seems it works, but I've several warnings for all inner surfaces added.
(See attached "tube_example2.geo")

NB: It seems also this makes the 3D mesh generation crash (self intersecting surfaces errors) on more complex geometries (containing curved pipes).

```
Warning : Could not orient normal of surface 31
Warning : Could not orient normal of surface 33

Warning : ------------------------------
Warning : Mesh generation error summary
Warning :     2 warnings
Warning :     0 errors
Warning : Check the full log for details
Warning : ------------------------------
```

I'd like to know if there's a way to force the orientation of these normals ?
(or a better way to proceed with GMSH ?)

2. I would like to edit a step geometry, but gmsh crash when adding a line
(See attached "tube_example1.geo").
I saw in this thread
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmsh-public/Oaqps6EHuCU
that it is not supported. Is there a plan to add this feature ? :)

Best regards

Guillaume Dollé