[Gmsh] biased meshing, non-manifold surface and hex elements

Finan, John JFinan at northshore.org
Fri Jan 20 18:59:02 CET 2017

Hi all,

I am using the attached file to generate a geometry in Gmsh and finishing the 3D meshing process using the GUI. It creates a quadrant of a thick disk. There is an interior surface that I use to bias the mesh towards where I need the highest mesh density. This works great for generating tet meshes.

I have been advised that the particularly problem I’m studying (mechanical analysis of a system in compression) may perform better with hex elements. Therefore, I tried to generate a mixed but predominantly hexagonal mesh using the GUI with the same geometry by changing the settings to recombine the 2D mesh into quads. However, I get errors because the surface is non-manifold. The internal surface I use to bias the mesh creates an edge with 3 contacting surfaces.

So my question is: how can I create a predominantly hexahedral mixed 3D mesh with a bias towards an interior surface without running into non-manifold surface errors? Can I bias the mesh without the interior surface? Can I delete the interior surface between generation of the 2D mesh and the 3D mesh? Am I setting this problem up the wrong way?

Any tips or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John

John D. Finan, PhD.
Research Scientist II,
NorthShore University Health System
Clinician Researcher
Prtizker School of Medicine
University of Chicago
1001 University Place,
Evanston, IL 60201
Phone: 224 364 7578
Cell: 919 906 1429

[cid:imageb8ed81.JPG at a289831c.4fa97669]

Legal Disclaimer: Information contained in this e-mail, including any files transmitted with it, may contain confidential medical or business information intended only for use by the intended recipient(s).  Any unauthorized disclosure, use, copying, distribution or taking of any action based on the contents of this email is strictly prohibited.  Review by any individual other than the intended recipient does not waive or surrender the physician-patient privilege or any other legal rights.  If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately and notify the sender by return email.