[Gmsh] how fill a 2D-mesh with 3D-elements calling GMSH from the shell

DILASSER Guillaume Guillaume.DILASSER at cea.fr
Mon Feb 20 15:12:46 CET 2017

Hi Johannes,

The option -3 does indeed call the 3D meshing algorithm but for it to work, volumes have to be defined. In your case, since you feed Gmsh a MED file, you don't have any Gmsh geometrical elements declared, just pure mesh and the program does not know how to handle it. The first step is therefore to re-build geometrical elements to establish a model of your shell and then call the 3D algorithm to mesh inside. Have a look at the enclose files and let me know if it helped. Note that this procedure will re-mesh the shell and thus you might not (read : certainly won't) have the same surface mesh in you output file as in your input MED...

Sincerely Yours,

Guillaume DILASSER
Doctorant SACM / LEAS
CEA - Centre de Saclay - Bât.123 - PC 319c
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex - France -

guillaume.dilasser at cea.fr<mailto:guillaume.dilasser at cea.fr>