[Gmsh] duplicate nodes but not identical, may be tolerance problem

Bernd Hahnebach gmsh at b75.ch
Wed Apr 5 23:50:58 CEST 2017

Hi,

I use GMSH for solid tet second order meshing of breps. On some
geometry I get nodes which are used in edges but not in faces or
volumes. At the end there are two nodes with a really small distance
to each other.

Attached an example brep. The geo code to get the unv is:

Merge "/tmp/lonely_volume_nodes.brep";
Mesh.CharacteristicLengthMax = 30.0;
Mesh.CharacteristicLengthMin = 30.0;
Mesh.Optimize = 1;
Mesh.ElementOrder = 2;
Mesh.Algorithm = 2;
Mesh.Algorithm3D = 1;
Mesh  3;
Mesh.Format = 2;
Mesh.SaveAll = 0;
Save "/tmp/lonely_volume_nodes.unv";

I do not know how to find and eliminate such nodes in GMSH. For
further processing in FEM (CalculiX) such nodes are not good at all.
The attached mesh has four such nodes: 5, 27, 28, 48  These nodes are
used in edges but not in faces or volumes.

Does someone know how to get rid of such problems nodes.

kind regards bernd