[Gmsh] Writing node-data from ".geo" file

G. D. McBain gdmcbain at protonmail.com
Tue Jun 20 02:46:38 CEST 2017

I was wondering if it is possible to write node-data to a ".msh" file from within the ".geo" file. All the examples from the documentation seem to explain the format of a ".msh" file containing node-data, but I would like gmsh to write out node-data (if possible) to the ".msh" file it generates (I need this to place "markers" on specific boundary nodes)

I think that the usual way to do this in Gmsh is to declare the point a Physical Point.

http://gmsh.info/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#Points

Then when the geometry is meshed, there will be a node at that point and an element of type 15 ("1-node point"), in the $Nodes and $Elements blocks, respectively, of the .msh file. The point-element has integer tags and ‘by default, the first tag is the number of the physical entity to which the element belongs’.

http://gmsh.info/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#MSH-ASCII-file-format