[Gmsh] export in binary format

Benoit Pouliot bpouliot at bodycad.com
Tue Aug 1 15:19:35 CEST 2017

Hi,

I am currently working on a reader of the ASCII and binary msh format.
I have some questions about it. I am using the latest 3.0.4 version (linux).

1-
The option -bin seem not to work for me.
The only way I found to export in binary format is this way :

gmsh name_file_input.geo -2 -o name_file_output.msh
gmsh -convert name_file_output.msh

The binary file will be in name_file_output.msh_new
Did I miss something to do it without passing by the ASCII format?

2-
Contrary to the documentation, in the binary file, the first number
 in the $MeshFormat section is 3 (not 2.2). Why?

3-
The binary format have a "$Entities" section. This section is not explained
in the documentation.
I think this commit (8d3592a9) added the section.
Can you tell me more about this section? How can I interpret it?
Why the ASCII format does not generate it?

Thanks for all the answers!
--
Benoît Pouliot - Développeur locigiel Bodycad