[Gmsh] How to mesh only the volume(s) and not the lines, surfaces etc?

Shamsul Arefin mail.shanto at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 15:54:10 CEST 2017

How to mesh only the volume(s) and not the lines, surfaces etc?

In my project I have imported a step-file of a bearing race (imagine a hollow cylinder). I want meshes on the volume only. The other geometric entities should be ignored. How do I make that happen?

Normally if I use the '3D' mesh from the command tree, i find elements on the line, surface and volumes. Whereas, I don't want any 2D elements rather only 3D tetrahedron was expected.

1# I have tried to delete the geometry items, the edges, and failed. >>> idea was to keep only the volume entity in the CAD and mesh only the volume.

2# i tried to define physical entities of the volumes, to mesh only that physical entity, and failed.
 a. I could not perform a selection (in coding) only for the volume elements.
 b. even if I could succeed to select the volumes, I don't find a Meshing command to mesh only a particular physical entity.

​
Regards,
Shamsul Arefin